Skip to main content

Summer doldrums, in May

You know what I'm talking about? 



The first bit of summer is awesome. Staying home, sleeping in, chilling out. It's everything you want in summer. 

And then after a while you start to feel just blah!? 

That's usually when it's time for a summer vacation! Or at least a camping trip or visit to the local pool! 

Well folks, we figured it out (Christopher and I). The last two months were a kind of summer break of sorts... And now we've hit the doldrums. 

The problem is, it isn't even summer yet! 

We're missing out on all the excitement of school getting out next week, because for reals it got out two months ago! It's no big deal now! And we're NOT leaving on a jet plane to Orlando, Florida like we were supposed to be!

Instead we're hanging out at home. Doing chores. Feeding chickens and pigs. Trying to come up with stuff to do to fill our days. And we've already done it all. 

Christopher is 12. He's been such a trooper through all of this (as have the other kids)! But at that age, school is such a HUGE part of your life. 

You focus your brain and your emotions and your attention on school, and everything that goes on there. And then you relax and play at home for a couple of hours a day, re-hashing in your brain (and with your brothers) all that you experienced at school that day! 

But now? Now we're in the summer doldrums in May. 

Thank goodness the weather is starting to cooperate... A trip to the park and a soccer game with friends today helped a bit. 

And don't worry, we rescheduled the Florida trip for July- fingers crossed that when the actual summer doldrums hit we'll be beachin'!

What do your kids like to do to fill their time? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REALLY. Hard. stuff.

I'm sitting by Reagan's crib, holding her hand as she falls asleep. It's nearly 10:00 pm, but she had a late nap. And she climbs out of her crib, so I'm opting for this solution tonight.  I hate pigs. I already did, but I do even more after tonight.  The county fair starts this weekend, and they needed to have a vet bill of health before they could enter the fairgrounds. (Christopher and Derek are raising 4-H hogs). So, they needed loaded into a trailer to go visit the vet for a few minutes.  I went out to take pictures. They'd already been trying for a while, and I'd fed the little kids and hid inside as long as I dared.  I didn't get a single picture and ended up jumping in to help.  These pigs are big. And stinky. And gross. AND dumb.  It took FOREVER to get them in- plus help from friends who already had their pigs in a trailer. (I kid you not, after two hours of squealing, fighting and snarling George literally walked up the ramp, into thei...

For parents, during quarantine

I pulled myself together enough this morning to let my kids dye some Easter eggs.  Don't worry. This blog post isn't about ideas for activities or things to do with your kids during quarantine.  Nor is it about enjoying this time we have at home with our families (though I don't disagree with that sentiment).  This post is to tell you that you are not alone.  I saw something on Instagram a bit ago that talked about the storm. For some people, this whole thing is just a sprinkling. For others, it's more of a storm. And for others still, it's a freaking hurricane. The idea was that we can still enjoy our sprinkling, while not downplaying the devastating effects of the hurricane in other's lives.  At my house, it's a sprinkling. With a bit of thunder and lightening. And some wind.  I've mentioned before- that we're okay. We're safe at home, we have an income. We have food, toilet paper and the internet.  But, let m...

My kids don't care about hashtags

Crash course on hashtag use: even if it might mean something good, people will be upset and it might mean something bad. 🤷 And if you choose not to use it, people will be upset. Oh, and you might get fired from your job. I want to write about the current events (riots, protests, hashtag shaming) that are happening in our country.  On one hand I'm so very grateful to live where I do. (This isn't the first time in the past few months that I've thought that!) Country town. Kind people. No major trouble. As far as you can see, the world is at peace. It's easier to forget about the chaos and danger and to enjoy my babies and the sunshine.  On the other hand, I'm distraught by what's happening. I'm happy that voices are being heard. I'm saddened that others are being silenced. Can't we all just be kind? #blackouttuesday is a hashtag I used on my Instagram feed (with a black screen), as a show of support for the voices of black people who need ...

Finding yourself in motherhood

I'm writing a book.  This is one draft of one portion of one chapter.  I want your feedback.  Anybody who comments and tells me what they think can have a free, signed copy of the book once it's published. ;) ... .. . Years ago, when I was a new mom, I attended a class during a women’s night. The presenter talked about the importance of putting your shoes and socks on first thing when you wake up in the morning; and putting on make up and doing your hair. As I listened I remember taking note that I’d have to try better at that (all the while my subconscious was thinking, “Are you freaking kidding me? That’s never going to happen! I can barely drag myself out of bed to kiss my husband goodbye before he leaves for work, praying that the baby will keep sleeping!”) I will forever be grateful for my friend who sat next to me. She was a seasoned mother of six children, whom I admired and looked up to. She leaned over and whispered in my ear, “I never do that. It just matter...

Baby snuggles

I'm not the cuddly type.  Just ask my friend Becca. She enjoys giving me a hard time because I often sidestep a welcome hug. I can't help it, I'm just not a touchy feely person.  And it doesn't help that when you have little kids someone is always touching you.  I mean- climbing on you-laying on you-grabbing at you with grimy hands- type of touching you.  And I just need space. You know?  But what I can't resist are baby snuggles. Innocent, pure, happy baby snuggles. Reagan is feeling sick today. There are a lot of things I could be doing- making dinner, cleaning (always), or even my homework...? But instead I'm holding her.  She's fast asleep. I could try to lay her down... But despite my prickly exterior, I just can't resist baby snuggles. And somehow I'm certain it will help her feel better faster! 

Maintaining intimacy in marriage (after kids)

This is the big presentation I've been working on for my intimate relationships course. It focuses on emotional intimacy, and I share a lot of cool research and advice. Watch the vide if you'd like! Also, I typed up my Top Five tips separately, so here you go! 1.      1.  Communicate! Take a course on communication if you want. Read a book if you want- but it will make a great deal of difference if you know how to successfully communicate with your spouse. Talk about everything! Small topics such as new trends, social media, homework, housework, chores, and the news. Big topics such as finances, feelings, plans and hopes. Talk about your day at work, his day at work and the kids’ days at work. Don’t wait until you have alone time to talk- kids need to see you talking too! Talk at dinner, talk through text or email, talk at bedtime. This is an important one if the physical side of your intimacy is suffering as well- talk about your desires, fears and worries when i...