Skip to main content

When you're the mom, on Mother's Day


Disclaimer: I do NOT have freckles. But I love them. So this Instagram filter is fun. Also, I was hiding from my demanding life for a minute.  

Aw, Mother's Day. The holiday of so many emotions. 

Joy. Pain. Relief. Sadness. Stress. Peace. 

Maybe one of the most common feelings around Mother's Day is that of inadequacy. 

We have these little humans (those of us who have been blessed with them), who offer gifts and sing our praises. And all of the talk of motherly love, sacrifice and awesomeness reminds us that maybe we're not all we're talked up to be. 

Maybe it's all a mirage. We're putting on a show. 

Maybe amidst their celebration of our hard work, we recognize just how crappy of a job we're really doing. 

But, let's stop. And give ourselves a fair chance. After all, we did create these little humans (with help from Dad, obviously), and we carried them inside us while they grew strong enough to live on their own. 

I mean, just that, by itself, is worth an annual celebration. 

And then there's the fact that we feed them. For years. Decades even. 

That should deserve a chocolate bar at least once a year. 

We clothe them, and do the diaper thing. For years. 

Definitely deserves a bouquet of flowers every spring. 

And of course, we love them. In all their tantrum-throwing, sticky-hands, messy-house, eye-rolling glory. We love them. 

That earns us at least a poem, or a handprint card, or a scribble picture. 

And it's when we remember that- the fact that we love them- with all our very soul- that's when we can relax and soak up the moment of Mothers Day. 

Because motherhood is the hardest, most exhausting, gut-wrenching, terrifying thing anyone can endure. 

But it's also the best. 

Truly. The best. 

So, Momma, even if you feel that you're not as good of a Mom as the P&G commercials makes us out to be, keep putting on the show. Because it's one important performance. 

And in the end, maybe we'll discover that we weren't just acting a part after all. 

Happy Mother's Day. 



Comments

  1. You're doing great. Not just showing up! The smiles on your little ones faces are the best reward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love being a mom, it is the greatest blessing ever...and I still feel very inadequate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever! You're the best Mom that every there was! And YOU'RE the one that taught me, it's okay if you have to act the part sometimes- in the end I know that YOU are truly the amazing, confident, strong woman you had to act like to raise us! Love you Mom!!!

      Delete
    2. We are all inadequate, that is why I am grateful that the Lord makes up the difference for all our inadequacies and even helps us make our weaknesses into strengths. But, as mothers go, you are pretty darn amazing!!! Any child would be blessed to be in your family.

      Delete
    3. PS With the opener about not having freckles, my first thought was you got sprayed with something. Glad that was not the case :)

      Delete
    4. Thank you! I have always looked up to you as a mother role model- and it has helped in many instances!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REALLY. Hard. stuff.

I'm sitting by Reagan's crib, holding her hand as she falls asleep. It's nearly 10:00 pm, but she had a late nap. And she climbs out of her crib, so I'm opting for this solution tonight.  I hate pigs. I already did, but I do even more after tonight.  The county fair starts this weekend, and they needed to have a vet bill of health before they could enter the fairgrounds. (Christopher and Derek are raising 4-H hogs). So, they needed loaded into a trailer to go visit the vet for a few minutes.  I went out to take pictures. They'd already been trying for a while, and I'd fed the little kids and hid inside as long as I dared.  I didn't get a single picture and ended up jumping in to help.  These pigs are big. And stinky. And gross. AND dumb.  It took FOREVER to get them in- plus help from friends who already had their pigs in a trailer. (I kid you not, after two hours of squealing, fighting and snarling George literally walked up the ramp, into thei...

For parents, during quarantine

I pulled myself together enough this morning to let my kids dye some Easter eggs.  Don't worry. This blog post isn't about ideas for activities or things to do with your kids during quarantine.  Nor is it about enjoying this time we have at home with our families (though I don't disagree with that sentiment).  This post is to tell you that you are not alone.  I saw something on Instagram a bit ago that talked about the storm. For some people, this whole thing is just a sprinkling. For others, it's more of a storm. And for others still, it's a freaking hurricane. The idea was that we can still enjoy our sprinkling, while not downplaying the devastating effects of the hurricane in other's lives.  At my house, it's a sprinkling. With a bit of thunder and lightening. And some wind.  I've mentioned before- that we're okay. We're safe at home, we have an income. We have food, toilet paper and the internet.  But, let m...

My kids don't care about hashtags

Crash course on hashtag use: even if it might mean something good, people will be upset and it might mean something bad. 🤷 And if you choose not to use it, people will be upset. Oh, and you might get fired from your job. I want to write about the current events (riots, protests, hashtag shaming) that are happening in our country.  On one hand I'm so very grateful to live where I do. (This isn't the first time in the past few months that I've thought that!) Country town. Kind people. No major trouble. As far as you can see, the world is at peace. It's easier to forget about the chaos and danger and to enjoy my babies and the sunshine.  On the other hand, I'm distraught by what's happening. I'm happy that voices are being heard. I'm saddened that others are being silenced. Can't we all just be kind? #blackouttuesday is a hashtag I used on my Instagram feed (with a black screen), as a show of support for the voices of black people who need ...

Finding yourself in motherhood

I'm writing a book.  This is one draft of one portion of one chapter.  I want your feedback.  Anybody who comments and tells me what they think can have a free, signed copy of the book once it's published. ;) ... .. . Years ago, when I was a new mom, I attended a class during a women’s night. The presenter talked about the importance of putting your shoes and socks on first thing when you wake up in the morning; and putting on make up and doing your hair. As I listened I remember taking note that I’d have to try better at that (all the while my subconscious was thinking, “Are you freaking kidding me? That’s never going to happen! I can barely drag myself out of bed to kiss my husband goodbye before he leaves for work, praying that the baby will keep sleeping!”) I will forever be grateful for my friend who sat next to me. She was a seasoned mother of six children, whom I admired and looked up to. She leaned over and whispered in my ear, “I never do that. It just matter...

Baby snuggles

I'm not the cuddly type.  Just ask my friend Becca. She enjoys giving me a hard time because I often sidestep a welcome hug. I can't help it, I'm just not a touchy feely person.  And it doesn't help that when you have little kids someone is always touching you.  I mean- climbing on you-laying on you-grabbing at you with grimy hands- type of touching you.  And I just need space. You know?  But what I can't resist are baby snuggles. Innocent, pure, happy baby snuggles. Reagan is feeling sick today. There are a lot of things I could be doing- making dinner, cleaning (always), or even my homework...? But instead I'm holding her.  She's fast asleep. I could try to lay her down... But despite my prickly exterior, I just can't resist baby snuggles. And somehow I'm certain it will help her feel better faster! 

Maintaining intimacy in marriage (after kids)

This is the big presentation I've been working on for my intimate relationships course. It focuses on emotional intimacy, and I share a lot of cool research and advice. Watch the vide if you'd like! Also, I typed up my Top Five tips separately, so here you go! 1.      1.  Communicate! Take a course on communication if you want. Read a book if you want- but it will make a great deal of difference if you know how to successfully communicate with your spouse. Talk about everything! Small topics such as new trends, social media, homework, housework, chores, and the news. Big topics such as finances, feelings, plans and hopes. Talk about your day at work, his day at work and the kids’ days at work. Don’t wait until you have alone time to talk- kids need to see you talking too! Talk at dinner, talk through text or email, talk at bedtime. This is an important one if the physical side of your intimacy is suffering as well- talk about your desires, fears and worries when i...